Hold the ketchup. This is no ordinary cheeseburger. It’s an extraordinary double cheeseburger dressed with zesty tomato jam. Start with a buttery, Brioche bun, add a handful of arugula and crisp red onion slices, and top it off with two juicy burger patties and creamy Bongards® American Cheese. Then add a generous dollop of tomato jam for a burger that’s bursting with robust tomato flavor.
- 2 pounds tomatoes (5 large), skins and seeds removed, diced
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices Bongards® American Cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Brioche buns
- In large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often and removing foam, until jam is thickened, about 1 hour; set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. When grill is hot, oil grates to prevent burgers from sticking. Form beef into 8 patties. Place burgers on grill and cook 8-10 minutes or until done (160 degrees F.), turning burgers halfway through cooking time. Top each patty with a slice of cheese during last minute of cooking.
- Divide arugula and onions evenly among bun bottoms; top each with 2 burgers, cheese side up.
- Top each with tomato jam. Remaining tomato jam will keep for 4 months in the refrigerator.